Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I've been fishing.....

Lately, I've been fishing a lot. What does this have to do with Elemental Magic? Everything, I think. I am drawn to the water like a moth to the flame, I am drawn to rivers, lakes and streams, the ocean. Early morning at the lake, two loons cry out to each other, and then meet in the middle of the lake. They dance together and celebrate the morning. Another day, another lake, a hail storm blows through, and afterwards, when the sun hits the side of the mountain, incredible tendrils of steam clouds rise up from the dense forest on the steep cliffs. Eagles glide over, looking. A huge bald eagle circles and lands on a floating log on the lake. A kingfisher darts down from a tree and strikes the water, making off with a tiny, wriggling fish.

Comox Lake

I bring a small trout to the shore, and gently remove the hook. He is too small to eat, and so I am extra careful, and I let him go in the shallow water, watching as he regains his composure, and then heads back to deeper water. Fish, so beautiful and sleek, each a perfect hydrodynamic miracle, flashing every colour of the rainbow. I make a small fire, and watch as the smoke from the damp wood rises and gets caught up in the convections of the lake's temperature. The smell of damp forest and wood smoke, the sound of wind coming across the mountains, through the trees, and then spraying sweeping patterns of ripples across the lake's mirror like surface.

Comox Lake

I meditate by the water, in the forest. Each moment is that perfect moment, when I allow it to be. Whether or not I actually catch a fish is secondary, although it's always nice to eat fresh trout for dinner or breakfast. But the essence of the experience is absorbing the divine perfection of nature into myself, allowing myself to be one with it and thus perfect, for once. The internal dialogue, the self-effacing chatter of un-consciousness, is quelled and quieted. Feeling and knowing that I am actually one and the same with this natural beauty.....

Maple Lake

It is Living Elemental Magic. It is all there, in every moment, when I am fishing....


Wolf Lake


Beautiful Cutthroat Trout, Wolf Lake, April 9th, 2010


All photos were taken near my home in the Comox Valley, on Vancouver Island. (believe it or not, all these photos were taken with my crappy cell phone!)


Steelhead Trout, Puntledge River, October 2010

3 comments:

Kohyunu said...

That's an amazing scenery there Joe.

I think I can understand partially what you mean by being drawn by nature.

I was drawn by the 'nature' aspect of the fountain spewing water.

If I could, I would've watch that thing for hours just trying to get a feel for the water bouncing randomly yet so rhythmically.

Water is truly beautiful.

Clive said...

Jeeze, Joe, looks like you're starting to really get comfortable in this neck of the woods!

Kristie said...

I purchased your book last year at the Ottawa animation festival and it truly changed my life around for the better. I am an animation student and last year i really had no focus and had no idea what i wanted in animation, till i found your book that is. It finally helped me find my calling and goal. Effects animation is like a dream come true. I have always been more into nature and how things work and your book and this blog opened a whole new chapter for me in the world of animation. It even helped me improve in character animation as well just by changing my outlook and giving me a new found confidence. I have to sincerely thank you Joe.